A tragic road traffic collision on Old Kent Road in Bermondsey has resulted in the death of a 34-year-old cyclist, prompting the Metropolitan Police to launch a full investigation and issue an urgent appeal for witnesses and members of the public who may have relevant information or video footage of the incident.
The fatal crash occurred in the early hours of the morning on Thursday, November 21, at approximately 7:00am, during what is considered one of the busiest commuting periods in south east London. Emergency services were quickly dispatched to the scene following reports of a serious collision involving a car and a cyclist near the junction of Old Kent Road and Dunton Road, a well-known and heavily trafficked area.
Officers from the Metropolitan Police and paramedics from the London Ambulance Service attended the location within minutes of the incident being reported. Upon arrival, emergency responders found the cyclist, a 34-year-old man, in critical condition after he had been struck by a vehicle. Despite the rapid response and the best efforts of medical professionals, the cyclist sadly succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Authorities confirmed that the man’s next of kin have been formally notified of his passing. Specially trained family liaison officers are now providing ongoing support to the grieving family as they come to terms with the sudden and devastating loss.
According to police statements, the driver of the vehicle involved in the collision did not stop at the scene following the impact, an action that further intensified the seriousness of the incident. However, police were able to trace the driver a short while later. The individual, a 68-year-old man, was subsequently arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
Following his arrest, the driver has been released on bail while police carry out further investigations into the circumstances surrounding the collision. Authorities have reiterated that the investigation is ongoing and that all evidence will be carefully examined in order to establish the full sequence of events that led to the fatal crash.
Detective Sergeant Rob Groombridge, who is part of the Metropolitan Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit, provided an update on behalf of the force. He stated that officers are working tirelessly to piece together what happened and are keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the incident or seen the moments leading up to it.
“An investigation is underway, and officers are working to establish what happened,” Detective Sergeant Groombridge said. “I’m appealing for anyone who saw the collision, or who may have captured footage of it on their dashcam, to please contact us as soon as possible.”
The police have encouraged anyone with information to reach out to the Serious Collision Unit by calling 0207 175 0754 or via the non-emergency number 101, quoting the reference CAD 1109/21NOV. Officers have also urged drivers who regularly travel through Old Kent Road to check any dashcam recordings they may have from the time of the incident, as even minor details could prove vital in helping establish the truth.
The London Ambulance Service also released a detailed statement describing their rapid response to the emergency. A spokesperson confirmed that emergency services were alerted at 6:57am and immediately dispatched multiple resources to the location.
“We were called at 6.57am today (21 November) to reports of a road traffic collision in Old Kent Road, Bermondsey,” the spokesperson said. “We sent an ambulance crew, paramedics in fast response cars and an incident response officer to the scene. We also dispatched a trauma team in a car from London’s Air Ambulance. The first paramedic arrived in less than five minutes.”
Despite the speed and professionalism of the emergency response, medics were unable to save the cyclist’s life. “Sadly, despite attempts to save his life, a man died at the scene,” the spokesperson added.
The incident has cast a spotlight on road safety concerns in London, particularly for vulnerable road users such as cyclists. Old Kent Road is one of the capital’s major arterial routes and has long been criticised for heavy traffic, complex junctions, and the risks posed to pedestrians and cyclists during peak hours.
Local residents and cycling advocacy groups have expressed renewed concerns following the tragedy, calling for improved safety measures, clearer signage, and enhanced cycling infrastructure to reduce the likelihood of similar incidents in the future. Many argue that more protected bike lanes and stricter enforcement of traffic regulations could help prevent further loss of life on busy roads like Old Kent Road.
Road safety experts have also weighed in, emphasising the importance of driver awareness and caution, especially during early morning hours when visibility and commuter congestion can create hazardous conditions. They stress that drivers must remain vigilant and always give cyclists sufficient space, adhere to speed limits, and remain alert at junctions where collisions are more likely to occur.
The failure of the driver to stop immediately after the collision has also raised serious legal and ethical questions. Leaving the scene of an accident involving serious injury or death is a criminal offence, and police will be scrutinising the driver’s actions closely as part of their investigation. Authorities have not yet disclosed whether other factors such as speed, road conditions, or vehicle condition played a role in the incident.
As the investigation continues, police officers are reviewing CCTV footage from nearby businesses and traffic cameras, as well as analysing forensic evidence from the scene. They are also speaking to potential witnesses who may have been in the area at the time of the collision or who may have seen the vehicle before or after the incident.
The tragedy serves as a somber reminder of the fragility of life on the roads and the responsibility shared by all road users to ensure safety. For families and loved ones of the victim, the impact of the loss is immeasurable, and the community has expressed its condolences and support during this difficult time.
Authorities continue to urge anyone with information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, to come forward. Even small details such as the vehicle’s direction of travel, speed, or erratic behaviour could provide crucial insight and assist investigators in delivering justice.
As London grapples with the aftermath of this devastating incident, renewed calls for improved road safety policies and stronger enforcement echo throughout the community. The hope is that through increased awareness, infrastructure improvements, and legal accountability, future tragedies can be prevented, and the lives of cyclists and pedestrians can be better protected.
The Metropolitan Police has assured the public that updates will be provided as the investigation progresses and that every effort is being made to establish the facts and hold those responsible accountable. In the meantime, the community mourns the loss of a young man whose life was cut short in a tragic and avoidable road incident.

Leave a Reply